January 23, 2009

Reboot 2009

It's been a while since I last visited the land of rambling posts and thrice-shared hyperlinks, but with the passing of another 2^25 seconds or so, it seemed like a good opportunity to reclaim my virtual presence on the Grand Series of Tubes. Thanks to a certain pair of ivory towers, I spent a great deal of time writing about the things I have done, and although I won't say that the paperwork was my favorite activity in recent months, it did force me to sit down and apply a healthy amount of scrutiny to some work that had been lying in cobwebs. There's something cleansing about sharing ideas in public. It's easy to convince yourself of any number of rosy half-truths about some personal project that will never see the light of day, but it's much harder to keep those delusions when faced with the prospect of an audience of millions. Sure, it's vastly more likely that not a single soul will ever stumble across your work, but the fact remains that you've put a piece of yourself out there for everyone to see.

So I suppose that's why I've come back. I found it tremendously useful to be forced to write something coherent that relates an idea to the protean communal eye. It seems only fitting, given the recent climate in the city to the south. I only wish I were so eloquent with my choice of words.


Oh, and I suppose since this is the Internet, let's flesh out the history of those words....

No comments: